Why does media need to be accessible?
Media needs to be accessible for a variety of reasons:
- To ensure equal opportunities for people with disabilities
- Comply with legal requirements
- Uphold ethical standards
- Reach a diverse audience
- Improve user experiences
- Enhance search engine visibility
Who needs access to accessible media?
Accessible media is essential for individuals with disabilities, including those with visual, auditory, cognitive, or motor impairments.
Although beyond these categories it benefits a broader audience:
- The elderly
- People with temporary disabilities
- Non-native speakers
- Those using different devices or environments for accessing content
How can I ensure my media is accessible?
Ensuring your media is accessible requires taking an extra step. And although this sounds like a lot of work, it’s important to remember that people in your audience might require your media to be accessible in order to take it in.
Here are some of the best practices for creating accessible media, and staying on top of your content.